Monday, January 09, 2006

Mishonda Baldwin, Wesley student, runs for Congress!

A fellow Wesley Seminarian whose intelligent and lively presence many of us have enjoyed in class discussions is answering another call on her life--to run for Congress in Maryland! Those of us who know Mishonda have a sense of how great she would be in Congress and can't help but be excited by her run. Below is a fundraising letter. I encourage you to check out her website, Baldwin for Congress, and to donate or volunteer as you are able. (FYI, I'm a volunteer.)

January 3, 2005

To my fellow American,

Today, we are facing some serious challenges in this country. The turmoil and issues we face range from corruption to poverty and are clearly evidenced by everyday news reports. Times like this require a special kind of selfless service and dedication focused on the good of all instead of the good of a few. My name is Mishonda Baldwin and I am running for United States Congress to represent Maryland’s Third District in 2006. Maryland has never elected an African American woman for Congress so this campaign is not just another election. This campaign speaks to a true America that invites and includes everyone at the table to make difficult decisions. As a long time Maryland resident, I have experienced, first hand, the issues facing this community and realize that the time is now for me to be proactive and become a resounding voice for the needs of real people.

I am running for Congress because I feel a sense of urgency to act as a catalyst for moving our community in the right direction. At a very young age, I learned the value of standing up even in hard times and to advocate for the needs and interests of others. Around the age of seven, I stood on the picket lines with my mother as she advocated for the rights of her fellow workers as a health care union delegate. When I was 19 years old, like many other Americans, I was enjoying my second year of college. Well my youth was cut short because I answered the call to serve my country during Operation Desert Storm. I packed my bags and headed to Saudi Arabia to free the people of Kuwait from an oppressive invasion. That sense of service continued on as I ascended the ranks of the military from private to Army Intelligence officer. Like then, I now feel a similar call but this time it’s focused on my own country. We are in desperate need of leaders who understand that no American should be left behind because of poor education or lack of health care. We all deserve the same opportunity to realize our God-given potential. I believe in the age-old adage that “to whom much is given, much is required.” I know that I have been blessed to see and to accomplish many things. For me, however, that is all the more reason for the mandate that I have on my life to help make the way easier for other people. I am a lawyer, seminarian, war veteran and, most importantly, a real person with real experiences. I understand and will work for the needs of the people because they are my needs.

To push this country in the right direction, I need your help. I cannot run a successful campaign on idealism alone. Financial support is critical to ensure victory in 2006. We need money now to get our message to the voters so they can be well-informed on Election Day.

My desire is to continuously touch the lives of people, starting now. Even if you do not live in the Third District, this campaign still affects you. Congressional representatives make legislation with the ability to impact the lives of the entire nation, not just those of their constituency. I am asking for 3,000 people to make a monetary donation to the campaign. I need contributions in the amounts of $1,000, $500, $250, $100, $50 or $25. However, I will accept any donation you feel in your heart to give.

You can read more about the campaign at www.BaldwinForCongress.com. In the coming months we face an uphill battle but with the help of people like you, I know that we will win! E-mail me at mishondabaldwin - at - verizon.net. I very much hope that I can count on you for your support. Thank you in advance!

God Bless,

Mishonda Baldwin

Real Leadership Working for Real People

Please make checks payable to: Friends of Mishonda Baldwin, P. O. Box 6548, Columbia, MD, 21045.

Note: Contributions to Friends of Mishonda Baldwin are not tax deductible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home